Friday, February 4, 2011

The Corporate Weird

What IS the corporate world? Why is it so weird? Why are some people just born to be here? Is corporate the "popular kids" of high school? Is it some elite club where entry is only gained by sucking up to current members and having lots of moneyed things in common to talk about?

It seems like I can't say a word to anybody here without feeling like a complete hillbilly fool.

"Stop texting," I say to Mazatlan as I walk out of the caf.
"Why you say stop if I'm texting to you!?" He laughs.
"You're not texting me."
"Yes I yam!"
"Oh, well, I don't get any," I say. "Maybe its becuase I blocked your number! Hah!"

Talking to Mazatlan is like slipping into my old self. I fit like a glove into that side of myself, and its fun. Edgy. Cozy, even. But I get into the elevator and step back into the Corporate Weird. I guess if I had to choose a me, I'd choose the one on the elevator. She's more grounded. More likely to own a house some day. And have a husband. And two kids. And a dog.

"Do you have any weekend plans?"
"How are you today?"
"It's really cold, today, huh?!"

Its all relative, though. And the Corporate Weird is not the only thing that makes me a different person these days. I guess I've grown up a bit. I must say, I do appreciate the boring things in life a lot more than I used to.

No comments: